This story puts you in the position of playing a boy named Vayne Aurelius. He is one day approached by a man named Zeppel who offers to take him and his companion Sulpher to to learn alchemy. While at the academy Vayne manages to make friends and learn about alchemy. But while attending the academy some one from behind the scenes is plotting Vayne’s downfall.
These are the characters who will join you on your adventure.
- Vayne Aurelius: This is the main character of Mana Khemia. He is supposed to be the son of the famous alchemist Theofratus. Vayne has spent his life in seclusion with only his friend Sulpher, the black cat who is his Mana. He is a reserved boy who is easily persuaded.
- Sulpher (Non Playable): A black cat who has been Vayne’s life long companion. Is also Vayne’s Mana. He use to be Theofratus' companion but when he died he became Vaynes friend, life long companion and Mana.
- Jessica Philomele: Vayne’s classmate and first friend at the Al-Revis academy. She is a friendly girl. She loves alchemy and constantly tries to add new ingredients to recipes which sometimes cause explosive results.
- Flay Gunnar: A higher grade student at the academy that tricks Vayne and his friends into joining his Work shop. He is a Justice loving free spirited individual. He also loves to pull pranks.
- Nicole Mimi Tithel: A hyper beastman girl who becomes a member of Flay’s work shop along with Jessica and Vayne. She loves to be outside and she loves to sing. She has a very amorous personality.
- Roxis Rosenkrantz: A stuck up transfer student who hates Vayne with a venomous passion. He is a very studious student who comes from a very famous alchemist family. He likes to distance himself from people and is not a very out going person.
- Pamela Ibis: A ghost girl who has lived at Al-Revis academy for a very long time. She likes cute things. She also appears in Judie no Atelier: Guramnat no Renkinjutsu, Violet no Atelier, Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana and Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm.
- Anna Lemouri: A very young girl who has mastered swordsmanship and now wishes to try to master alchemy. She is a strong girl with no sense of humor. Very orderly and no doubt a neat freak.
- Muppy Oktavia Wonderchak VIII: A foreign exchange student who is literally from out of this world. He wants to learn alchemy so he can fix his ship. He is very odd and on occasion you will get a chance to see his true intentions shine through in his evil smile.
When Mana Khemia was released in the US it was released in three different versions, a standard edition with no extras, a premium edition which included a soundtrack featuring songs from the game and a double sided poster, and finally a premium box edition which included everything that was in the premium edition plus a Jessica figurine and a special collector's box. The box set was limited to 1,000 copies.
A PlayStation Portable version of Mana Khemia: Alchemist of Al-Revis was released in Japan on June 21st 2008 under the title "Mana-Khemia Gakuen no Renkinjutsushi-tachi Plus". An English version of the PSP game, which goes by the title of Mana Khemia: Student Alliance was released March 10th 2009 in the United States and March 27th 2009 in Europe. The PSP version features multiplayer battles and more items.
The tracks that were included on the bonus soundtrack:
01. Run for Your Life
02. Nostalgia of Studies
03. Dreams of the Black Cat
04. Future of Dreams -Chorus-
05. Defender of Justice has Come
06. Splendid Force
07. Vayne and Friends
08. Whistling Girl
09. Welcome to the *Fluffy* Workshop
10. Student Store Missy and Oldie
11. Hurry Up!
12. The Menace
13. Ah, Disciplinarian of Yoth
14. Legends of Sillyhead
16. Halucinate Bell
20. My Glasses are Addicted
21. I mpending Conspiracy
22. On the Wind Past the Hills
23. Ghost Girls for Mana Khemia
25. Phween Biography
26. Block Pulse of Love
29. Wails of the Rain
30. A Gap into Darkness
32. By the Illusion
33. ToggleDownload Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis Full Game