A spin-off of the Super Robot Taisen series of turn-based strategy games, Super Robot Spirits features one-on-one fights with mecha from numerous Japanese anime series both modern (such as Kidou Butouden G Gundam) and vintage (such as Muteki Joujin Daitarn 3). Along with voice acting, the game includes renditions of music themes from each series.
The game includes eight playable mecha from the start, as well as two unlockable boss characters. Only two mecha, R-1 and Judecca, do not come from a licensed anime series (instead coming from earlier games in the series).
- R-1 (piloted by Ryuusei Date)
- Daitarn 3 (from Muteki Joujin Daitarn 3, piloted by Banjou Haran)
- Dancougar (from Choujuu Kishin Dancougar, piloted by Shinobu Fujiwara)
- Shining Gundam (from Kidou Butouden G Gundam, piloted by Domon Kasshu)
- Dunbine (from Seisenshi Dunbine, piloted by Shou Zama and Chum Huau)
- Walker-Galliar (from Sentou Meka Xabungle, piloted by Jiron Amos)
- Voltes V (from Choudenji Machine Voltes V, piloted by Kenichi Gou and crew)
- Master Gundam (from Kidou Butouden G Gundam, piloted by Dongfang Bubai) - Cannot be played in Story Mode without an unlockable.
- Devil Gundam (from Kidou Butouden G Gundam) - Sub-boss. Unlockable.
- Judecca (piloted by Levi Torah) - Final boss. Unlockable. Cannot be played in Story Mode. Only one character can pick Judecca at a time.