The game offers four distinct modes:
- Classic Mode: The original Shady's Poopong game, now playable with one or two players (the original only offered one player)
- Anniversary Mode: A graphically and audibly enhanced version of the original game, with power-ups included as well.
- Concept Mode: An unlockable mode that plays as the game was originally designed back in the 1990's.
- Challenge Mode: Offers many different challenges to the player, such as hitting targets or defeating bosses.
After clearing all of the challenges a final challenge, Boss Rush, appears.
- Big Buzzy: The much-larger cousin of the Buzzy flies that players had encountered previously. It attempts to approach the player's paddle, and if it succeeds, the player loses. The player can win by knocking Big Buzzy to the opposite side of the screen.
- Shina: A catgirl who stands in the player's way not out of malice, but because she wants to play. If the player knocks the Shady Head ball toward her, she will swipe at it and knock it back; breaking the ceiling to release the ball of yarn to distract her will allow the player to win. Voiced by Julie Edwards.
- Dark Shady: A mysterious naked, black-furred gorilla with sunglasses. He scales a palm tree and will block the Shady Head ball if it comes toward him, knocking it back toward the player's paddle. Only by knocking Dark Shady off of the palm tree by striking it, can he be defeated. Voiced by Andrew Mooney.
- Lars: An odd monster who serves Thunderbeak. He is very gluttonous and will try to eat the Shady Head ball, but finds it disgusting and will spit it back out. Nevertheless, he will continue trying to eat it over and over; only by hitting him from above and below will he be defeated. Voiced by Steven W. Hunt.
- Thunderbeak: An evil crow in a mech, The blasts he shoots will knock the Shady Head ball backward. Striking the mech will damage and eventually defeat him. Voiced by Richard Epcar.
Shady's Poopong: 20th Anniversary Edition was released at midnight PST on December 31, 2013, available on CD-ROM from CC & SH's partner store. The game was released later digitally on itch.io on October 17, 2015.